Wednesday 12 September 2012

Flamboyant code

I recently caught up with a colleague I used to work with (let's call him "Bill"). While I have had several jobs since, Bill is still in the same job when I first met him. He hasn't moved on.  He is still maintaining the systems he wrote nearly twenty years ago.

We both once worked for a pharmaceutical company. I was in a mainly admin role, with a lot of paper shuffling. The company implemented a new electronic document system to replace the more cumbersome microfiche factory they were running previously.

Being a bit of a data geek, I soon got to know some of the IT developers who were charged with developing this system (and many others) and supporting them. Bill was one of the developers in the team.

Bill was particularly proud of his work. He enjoyed showing off, and I liked to learn about programming. One day, he waved me over and pointed to his screen. What I saw absolutely fried my head.

"I reckon I'm the only one here who will ever understand this code," Bill announced proudly.

He then proceded to explain it to me. I could grasp the concepts, but the way it was written was mind-boggling. I was instantly amazed at his complex use of subroutines, algorithms and spacial awareness. For a long time, I held that example in my head of what a developer should be.

Since then, my view has changed significantly. Whenever you write programs, it is always important that other developers can understand what is happening. It should be logical. The naming conventions should be consistent. It should be clearly annotated. You should take time to make the documentation as clear and simple to understand as your code.

This is particularly important if you are employing contractors to deliver single projects. Signs of flamboyant code are:
  1. Inappropriate naming conventions for subroutines or variables.
  2. Excessive use of subroutines.
  3. Multiple programs to do one job.
  4. Very little or no functional documentation. (ERD, process flowcharts etc.)
  5. No evidence of collection of business requirements.
  6. Very little annotations in the code.
Devise coding standards. Insist they are adhered to by auditing delivered work before it is promoted to production. Standardising your approach to development will dramatically affect the technical agility of your organisation.

No comments:

Post a Comment